During the French Revolution the monks were evicted from the monastery in 1797, but the cheese was still produced in the cheese dairies of the former abbey. By the mid-19th century a farmer from Bellelay, A. Hofstetter, succeeded in boosting production anew when his cheese received awards at the "Concours Universel" of Paris in 1856 and at other trade fairs.
Towards the end of the 19th century several village cheese dairies were established. About 10 tons of Tête de Moine AOP were exported to countries as far away as Russia.
© Photo : Musée jurassien d'art et d'histoire, Delémont